Monday, June 1, 2009

May Twas the Time for Mandolins!


Here's a brief update just for kicks and giggles. Last Friday was my birthday which was enjoyable. My dad and I went out to lunch at some chinese luncheon (I still have to drive for him for about another month), not great but okay and than he gave me some mullah, Cha-Ching! At about five or so my mom came home with a card and apparently a surprise gift. I hadn't asked for anything but somehow she'd remembered something I'd fondly talked about having some months back. So in all it's glory, I was presented with my very own mandolin. What a great surprise and I've really had no trouble picking it up with all my guitar and ukulele experience.. It's a satisfying feeling to play the mandolin break from '"Stonehenge". Later that evening my dad, my brother and I went to see Drag Me To Hell which was immensely entertaining. I just hope that it's released on dvd before next Halloween, because it really is the perfect Halloween movie and one of the most entertaining movies I've seen this year.

The next day I pretty much just hung out doing nothing but watching the Mariners game. Later that night Sean, Colin and I went to go see Up which I liked okay. I didn't find most of it that funny and never really got into the story but I loved the animation, the music (Michael Giacchino's becoming one my favorite current film composers) and some of the sentimental stuff. I also have a lot of respect for Pixar constantly taking such unconventional approaches to animated films. Tackling such kid's movie taboos as death (In this case our protagonists wife) and the most blood I've seen in an animated movie since Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, well it's not that much but you get the idea. Still I've been more of a fan of the Brad Bird Pixar films and of course the Toy Story series, but this did the trick.

Sunday I went over to AJ's house to help him with a video project for one of his classes. I played a cop who like uh was arresting this guy for like a prank or something? I wasn't about his method of shooting whole scenes from one angle and memorizing a bunch of dialogue (I prefer the Cat Fancy method of quick cuts for conversations) but I got through it alive. I did struggle remembering some lines in this one back-and-forth with AJ until I was like "Can't we make this two shots?" I finally got to do one thing the Cat Fancy way, it was sweet. Aside from that it was weird walking around in a cop uniform around town but as a whole it wasn't so bad... But I really have not interest in ever seeing the finished product.

Now I'm just trying to work on this incredibly annoying paper for my "American Heroes" class, you know; bibliographies, outlines, rough drafts... When will I personally ever need to do a bibliography to aide me in the future? I hate that kind of stuff and I wish classes would just end already. Aside from that I'm still driving my dad around to all his appointments and trying to get some nice free time when I can, it's been busy but that's life, Otteni out.

No comments: