Thursday, February 7, 2008

Twists of Fury

Shyama lama

So I was looking around online today for any info regarding the new M. Night movie The Happening and was surprised to see all the negativity directed towards it on Imdb. I just can't believe all the people that just liter imdb's forums with comments such as "Worst director ever?" or "Most overrated director of all time?" It's almost like it's become hip to trash M. Night. so I thought I lend my insight to the situation. Now those 2 comments I used as examples are as a matter of fact the most frequent ones I have seen, and I understand if people want to complain about a filmmaker on the forum to that page, (where else would they do it) but I just can't believe the kind of flack he gets, which is even more than some far worse directors.

Now obviously M Night is not the worst director of all time so I wont even address that but overrated? Is he really rated that high? I'd understand this if he was really popular, but it's not like he gets a bunch of glowing reviews or a bunch of oscars. He's just another filmmaker going out there, making movies with his own style and I personally appreciate his attempts at being different.

Probably another one of the most common complaints is "He always has to end with a twist." First of all I don't really think Signs ended with a twist. It just kind of tied together a string of unclear elements. Not to mention Lady in the Water certainly didn't end with a twist. Leaving us with The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and The Village. (Not including M. Night's early light drama films). The first being an oscar nominated classic that really wouldn't of been the same without a twist. The twist in Unbreakable is also I think what made the film. Now I can understand why people didn't like the ending to The Village, it's twist certainly changes the tone of the film and almost eliminates the suspense, but personally I found it to be a good move. What we got was a much different film then we expected and I'd much prefer that direction to there actually being monsters.

But when it all comes down to it, what's really wrong with having a twist ending? In the case of The Sixth Sense it had one of the most surprising endings of all time and people loved that. Perhaps you can say that it made M. Night predictable because after that you were expecting twist endings, but it's not like anyone ever really figured the endings out beforehand. I know they still always got me, so I don't understand what's wrong with occasionally using twists? Look at The Twilight Zone arguably one of the greatest sci-fi television shows of all time, it always had twist endings and hey it's memorable show. I think it's basically because people don't like being tricked. They go in expecting a certain kind of movie and then get something different. So perhaps most people prefer stuff that's predictable? I don't know but I'll always be excited when new M. Night movies come out. (except if he does "Avatar: The Last Airbender")

I was gonna post a trailer to "The Happening" for this blog but can't seem to find it anymore. I here it's attached to "Jumper" so I guess we'll have to wait and see that. I'm of course just kidding.

No comments: