Monday, May 12, 2008

John's Jukebox: Writers Block

Peter Bjorn and John - Writers Block (2006)

Here's a new segment on my blog, where I'll do reviews about what I'm currently listening to. Since the Cat Fancy Blog mostly has reviews for new and classic albums, I thought this would be an appropriate place for me to write blogs on just whatever I've heard recently. As you can see, I've done a couple blogs like that, but this is the first official one.

Well anyone who listens to Indie or Alternative music has probably heard the 2006 song Young Folks, a spacey number with some sparse instrumentation, a delicate duet (featuring co-lead vocals from Victoris Bergsman) and how can you forget that infectious whistling melody? Anyways, I had to check this group out and and I now I'll give you my feeling's regarding Peter Bjorn and John's 2006 album Writer's Block.

Naturally hailing from Sweden, this three-piece have put together a handful of melodic and clever tunes for their third album. Often utilizing instruments you wouldn't often see in rock including; recorders, xylophones, mandolins and more. Writer's Block is a diverse work all nicely tied together by Peter Morén's calm European delivery and Bjorn and John's competent rhythmic backup. This making their perceussion an important part of their sound. John Eriksson's drumming is tight and punchy as he's accompanied by bongos and shakers. Bjorn Yttling is as well a fine partner to Peter as he plays a mean bass, does some fine backup vocals and even throws a little piano in there. Writer's Block may not be the most exciting album (some songs drag on a little) but it creates a strong atmosphere of bittersweet indie rock and has plenty of originality to it.

Favorite Tracks: "Amsterdam", "Paris 2004", "Young Folks"

No comments: