Thursday, May 1, 2008

Below My Radar


Kelley Stoltz - Below The Branches (2006)

I first heard about Kelley Stoltz a few weeks ago, when I saw commercial featuring his song "Memory Collector", or at least that's what I thought. It took me a few listens but soon it became clear as to why he sounded so familiar. The reason is, that I actually saw him open for The Raconteurs in 06' and didn't even realize it. I remember him pretty clearly as well, my reaction to his performance being "Yeah this comb-over guy ain't a bad songwriter" but I just couldn't remember his name until a couple days ago. I mean I just figured that he was a really small time musician and though he kind of his, hey he's got a song in a commercial and that's something. Perhaps he's making his way up?

On to the album "Below the Branches" (A Sub Pop release) is Stoltz 6th album and it has it's moments. The low tech recording (Most of which was done on an eight track tape player) has a quaint quality to it but this could of definitely benefited from a producer and some better recording equipment. The end result is pleasant pop music, but it's sloppy. Stolz performances are fine but could he could of definitely benefited from a second opinion while recording this. If this album was polished up a little, it could of been so much more. Though aside from that, Stoltz has written some pretty catchy little ditties, "Memory Collector" is definitely a standout (despite it's barely two minute length) and some other's really have that 60s pop essence working for them. I think Stoltz's music has a lot of potential and I'd definitely like to see what he could accomplish in a more professional environment. So until than, this album is still kind of fun.

Favorite Tracks: Ever Thought Of Coming Back, Memory Collector, Wave Goodbye

No comments: