Monday, December 8, 2008

Gold, Jerry! Gold!


Jerry Seinfeld - I'm Telling You for the Last Time (1998)
Rating: Pretty Good

Jerry Seinfeld doesn't have to try to hard to get a chuckle. His silly yet relatable form of observational comedy really struck a chord with audiences in the late 80s and has been entertaining the masses ever since.

I've been trying to watch as much Seinfeld as possible lately and somehow I ran into this and decided to give it a listen. Originally an HBO stand-up comedy special, this is the CD of that same performance (of which there is also a DVD) taped just a few months after the shows finale.

Right out of the gate even a moderate Seinfeld fan should recognize a handful of these bits from the show. Jerry's bits about pharmacies and doctors are all here but as well elaborated upon and quite witty. One of my favorite bits (which Jerry would later turn into an illustrated children's book) is Jerry talking about Halloween. His youthful escapades dressed as Superman with a winter jacket and a suffocating mask... I mean it's all stuff we've gone through and I think that's part of what makes his act so endearing.

Jerry covers a lot of subjects from Florida, to the Olympics, to Chinese people using chopsticks. "I mean their farmers use shovels, you don't see em out there with a couple of pool cues." I think it's safe to say it's all the kind of silly random stuff we've all pondered before but Jerry has quite a knack for adding a comedic twist to these topics and an enthusiastic delivery.

No comments: