Monday, April 14, 2008

It's Not Easy Being Green


Could last night of been the last Seattle Sonic's last home game, in the team's 40 year existence? As April 11th was the last ome game of the season, the big question is "Will the team actually be moving to Oklahoma City next season." Supposedly we'll get a better idea come around this June during the trial precedings of Clay Bennett against the City of Seattle. With Seattle hoping to keep the Sonics at least until 2010, it's a depressing thought to know that we may not have a basketball team anymore, at least at some point in time. So how was last night's game? Not bad, fans were enthusiastic (even Gary Payton showed up to give his respects) and The Sonics managed to come from behind and beat the Mavericks 99-95. Good to see us go out on a good note I suppose.

In all of this, I just thought I'd use this opportunity to give my respect to my team, if they are truly leaving. Though I never got to experience the Glory Days of the late 70s, with legendary Sonics like "Downtown" Freddy Brown, Jack Sikma or player and coach Lenny Wilkens, I've heard plenty and still got to see the Sonics second best era in the Mid 90s. The days of Shaun Kemp, Gary "The Glove" Payton and Detlef Schrempf were exciting enough and I'm glad to of experienced it. So though we may have some douchebag (who never really cared about the Seattle fans) trying to snatch up our team. They'll always be Seattle's team if I have anything to say about it. Plus having a Sasquatch mascot in Oklahoma? That doesn't make sense.

1 comment:

wildlemon said...

Hi John - It was fun to be a fan back in the 70's. My senior year of college was the year they won Jun1 1st, 1979! It was great. I went to a playoff game in the Kingdome and sat up in the rafters and loved every minute of it. My favorite was Dennis Johnson. At that time, he lived just a few blocks from my folks, and we would ride by on our bikes, hoping to catch a glimpse.
Thanks for the memories and don't give up on cat fancy. I miss the kibble.