Sunday, April 6, 2008

A Walk in the Park


I've decided I'm going to try and split my ideas for blogs between My own and The Cat Fancy Blog, in an attempt to keep my own blog reguarly updadted. Naturally my own will have more personal stories and if I want to post something but there has already been a post on Cat Fancy I'll put it here. So today I thought I'd discuss my thoughts on last Saturday's SNL which I have to admit, wasn't half bad.

Now this is really something of a shocker when you look at the current quality of the show. It isn't a particularily strong cast these days (Seth Meyers) and only every once in a blue moon do they pull off a good sketch, but this episode actually had a handful of funny sketches due solely to Mr. Christopher Walken. Now I always check into SNL once a week for at least a sketch (I guess I always want to see if it will fail to dissapoint, but it always does) and with the Walkman hosting, I couldn't resist. So the show starts and here I expect Colin and I to watch it for about 5 minutes before we change it to something better and guess what... We actually watched the whole episode. From the opening monologue where Christopher Walken "Writes questions for people to ask him" to the very end. It was a good feeling to be like was "This ain't bad, maybe this will work out" and for the most part it did. naturally there were some weak sketches, (that's too be expected with a 90 minute show) but only a few (Like "Weekend Update" and that skit where Kristin Wiig was the lady excited for a party) Some of these sketches were a great showcase for Walken's outright kookiness including; cleaning up a school production of "Grease" with lyrical changes such as "Go Gene Rayburn, Go Gene Rayburn" and "Hubba, Hubba, Hubba, Hubba, Hubba Hubba, Fleam", being obsessed with a male co-worker, and playing a paranoid gardener who places googily eyes on plants are all sketches that complimented Walken's style. So aside from a few weak sketches (and a somewhat underwhelming performance by emo rockers Panic At The Disco) It was one of the best episodes in a while.

No comments: